Wisbech make superb start to season
WISBECH Town Cricket Club made a superb start to the season on Saturday when Zak Brown s 93 helped the first team beat Godmanchester by 105 runs in the Tucker Gardner Division One. James Williams hit 53 and Adam Hodgson chipped in with 22 as Wisbech open
WISBECH Town Cricket Club made a superb start to the season on Saturday when Zak Brown's 93 helped the first team beat Godmanchester by 105 runs in the Tucker Gardner Division One.
James Williams hit 53 and Adam Hodgson chipped in with 22 as Wisbech opened with 233 all out.
Hodgson was Wisbech's chief wicket-taker with 4-44.
Tom Bourne (3-25) and Williams (2-37) helped to ensure ensured Godmanchester were all out for 128.
Three days earlier Wisbech started their annual pre-season friendly with the world famous Marylebone Cricket Club, which was tied.
Simon Freear (47), Gary Freear (40) and Matthew Parrin jnr (32) were the stars of Wisbech's first innings when they posted 188-8.
- 1 Wisbech Swimming Club member gains place at British Swimming Championships final
- 2 Driver escapes injury after lorry ploughs into back of broken-down van
- 3 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had undiagnosed Alzheimer’s’
- 4 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 5 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 Fraudster rented out homes for cannabis factories worth over £300k
- 8 Paddleboarder dies after getting into difficulty on river
- 9 Households urged to ‘be vigilant’ after many targeted by rogue traders
Earlier Craig Johnson (2-20) and Parrin jnr (2-22) were amongst the wickets when MCC posted 166-4.
Parrin jnr then took 4-53 as MCC reached 246-7 in their second innings and Gavin Plume (47) and Gary Freear (38) were Wisbech's highest scorers in their reply of 225 all out.
Elsewhere, Simon Gilbert's 64 helped Leverington record a 68-run Fenland Invitation Trophy victory over Wisbech thirds on Saturday.
Kieran Haynes (3-22) and David LeMoir (3-21) took the wickets as Leverington finished on 207 all out.
Matthew Gill top scored with 49 in Wisbech's reply of 139-9 with Leverington's Adam Fairbrother taking 3-15.
Carl Pope scored 37 and Gary Freear took 3-15 as Wisbech's first Sunday side lost their Rutland Division One match with Barnack by five wickets, and Charles Baxter's 58 wasn't enough save Wisbech's second Sunday team to a 37-run Rutland Division Six loss to Market Overton.
Ian Shinton's 64 not out and a 57 from Rob Menarry ensured Chatteris recorded a three-wicket Fenland Invitation Trophy win over Wisbech's third Sunday team.
Jason Esser top scored for Wisbech with 43 and Nick Drew took 4-46.
Paul Strickle took 4-6 to help Wisbech's second Saturday side to a 116-run friendly win over March seconds.
Shane Sleath and James Dod both top-scored with 43 a piece.