Wisbech juniors finish runners up in Cambridgeshire finals
WISBECH Rugby Club s under-9s went all the way to the final of the Cambridgeshire Cup, despite missing key players. An exhausted Wisbech lost the final 8-1 to Cambridge and Cameron Finlay was their only try scorer. The Wisbech boys received runners-up med
WISBECH Rugby Club's under-9s went all the way to the final of the Cambridgeshire Cup, despite missing key players.
An exhausted Wisbech lost the final 8-1 to Cambridge and Cameron Finlay was their only try scorer.
The Wisbech boys received runners-up medals from Premier League player Jon Vickers of the Northampton Saints.
Wisbech beat Saffron Walden to a place in the final on their tries record for the day after their semi-final finished 0-0 after extra-time sudden death.
Earlier Wisbech had beaten Ely 3-2 and Shelford 5-4 with Finlay (3), Frank Etherington (2), Oliver Simpson, James Shelly and Finlay Wilcox all scoring tries.
Player of the week was Wilcox who captained his team by example with a superb all round performance.
- 1 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 2 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 3 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 4 Family's questions over Covid death of beloved hospital care worker
- 5 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Fenmen 'not far' from turning fortunes round despite second straight loss
- 10 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
Coach Alex Wilcox said: "I'm extremely proud of how the team played.
"To reach the finals of the county cup with key players missing and no substitutes is a credit to all the boys.