Wisbech Inline Speed Skaters start 2018 race season in fine form
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Inline Speed Skaters have started the 2018 race season in fine form at the weekend.
The team travelled to Derby to compete in the two-day event.
The first events on Saturday evening were a more relaxed affair than they’re used to with a new format of fun racing consisting of teams of three skaters competing in team Dobbin Sprints (flying lap), team relays and team pursuits with a total of 12 skaters competing in the events from Wisbech.
The Sunday race schedule was a more familiar one with the usual category races, and started the day off with individual dobbin sprints, which have now been included in the British Championships race schedule, followed by two races for each category. Nine year old Taylor Barker eased to victory in his events to finish in 1st place overall in Cat 5 to bring home his first ever trophy. 8 year old Arthur Buckler also finished in overall 1st place in Cat 4 to add to his trophy collection. Teenagers Dylan Taylor and Flynn McGurk finished overall in 3rd place in Cats 3 & 2 respectively. Karl Bates made his Masters Men’s Category debut and finished in an impressive overall 3rd place, with team coach Mike McInerney also finishing in 3rd in Cat 1.
Skaters racing this weekend were:
You may also want to watch:
Mike McInerney, Graham Freear, Luke Frary, Karl Bates, Flynn McGurk, Eve McInerney, Lucy McInerney, Warren Eve, James Eve, Dylan Taylor, Arthur Buckler, Taylor Barker, Leah Barker, Kirby Barker and Glen Brown.
The team are now training for the British Indoor Championships being held in Essex in March. To keep updated with news from the team search ‘Wisbech Inline Speed Skating Club on Facebook.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction