Wisbech Hockey Club’s ladies clinch title as unbeaten league season draws closer
WISBECH ladies left the champagne on ice despite clinching the title on Saturday as they close in on a remarkable unbeaten league season.
Claire Apted’s goal clinched the Division One North trophy for Wisbech as they beat St Ives 1-0. The side now have just two home games left to achieve an even bigger feat - winning the title without losing a match.
Captain Natalie Ward said: “We didn’t do anything on Saturday because our season isn’t over yet.
“We’re delighted to win the title but the unbeaten dream is now definitely a reality. We’re so close to what would be an unbelievable achievement. We want to finish the league season without losing so much now.
“The partying hasn’t started yet but if we don’t lose either of the next two games the champagne will really be flowing.”
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech’s only defeat of their glorious season came in the quarter-finals of the HA Trophy. They lost 3-2 at Teign in Devon but the heartbreaking defeat has only continued to spur the side on.
Wisbech host Ipswich III tomorrow (1pm start) before facing what Ward describes as one of their “bogey sides”, Watton, on the final day of the season.
- 1 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 2 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 3 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 4 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 5 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 6 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 7 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 8 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 9 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 10 Students highlight road safety in new films