Wisbech Town Hockey Club players celebrate a win amid a string of defeats

Wisbech Town Hockey Club teams put in a good effort but suffer a string of defeats among one win.


LOSS 0-2

Wisbech side were on form and hosted top of the league Sudbury. Home side Wisbech were slow off the mark and conceded an early goal through a good passing move from the visitors.

Sudbury were denied a second from a short corner with an impressive goal line stop from Gary Freear.

Wisbech then warmed into the game, chances came thick and fast but the teams went into half-time with the visitors a goal up.

As Wisbech continued their pressure in the second half they forced the Sudbury keeper into some top class saves.

Most Read

A mistake at the back left keeper Will Smithee outnumbered and the visitors went 2 up. Smithee had stepped up to the first team this weekend and made a series of very fine saves throughout the game, denying the visitors a further goal.

Continued pressure from Wisbech forced a string of extremely good saves out of the Sudbury keeper who was a major reason for the visitors securing three points. The men play at home next week to Old Southendians looking to resume their winning form.

Man of the match:? Will Smithee.


LOSS 1-7

After a positive result last week the mens 2nd team were looking for a positive results against Horncastle. Even after a strong start Wisbech were soon down by 2. Towards the end of the first half Wisbech found themselves with a chance to score on a short corner, which they did through Jamie Hallatt. The men carried on with their heads high even though Horncastle kept scoring. Wisbech lost their heads in the last 10 minutes of the match suffered a 1-7 defeat. Wisbech will look for a win at Peterborough next week.

Man of the match:? Josh Bowers ??


LOSS 0-7

A young squad of 11 travelled to Kettering 4’s Saturday. In fact the youngsters worked out that without the two adults the average age of our team was 14.5 and were faced with Kettering squad of 15 adults.

Kettering started from the push back and dribbled all the way to the D only to be stopped at the p spot, it was going to be a tough morning. Wave after wave of attacks had to be soaked up by Wisbech defence who worked hard all game with Josh Watson undoubtedly having his best game to date. Deadlock was finally broken and half time ended at 3-0 down.

It was a positive half time talk but they couldn’t change too much. Wisbech had a better 2nd half and the midfield came into play with the forwards were making some good runs.

Despite some excellent defending and goal keeping Kettering added 4 more. In all honesty Kettering may be wondering how they didn’t double their scoreline, it’s because Wisbech never dropped their heads and stuck with it.

Well done boys you all put in an honest performance and a moral victory for a real development team.

Man of the match: Aidan Falcus.


LOSS 0-2

Mens 3’s travelled to Cambs South 3’s. Cambs loaded the pressure on from the start but the Wisbech defence and Calvin Bishop in goal was equal to it. Cambs South had the better chances in the first half but couldn’t capitalise on any of them.

Wisbech came out much stronger in the second half and went looking for the opening goal but unfortunately against the run of play Cambs South scored from a short corner.

Late in the game Wisbech went looking for the equaliser and pushed up high but were caught on the break and Cambs who added a second.


LOSS 0-4

Ladies First team travelled to Ipswich to play an important match to maintain their mid table position. The first ten minutes suggested Wisbech were going to come out on top. A number of goal scoring opportunities were created and despite not converting them it felt like goals were going to come.

The game changed when Wisbech failed to respond well to a goal from Ipswich against the flow of play, heads went down and the side too often forgot the mantra “play to the whistle”.

Wisbech compromised their discipline, tactics and technique letting Ipswich take control of the play and adding three more goals to end the match with a 4-0 defeat. The sending off of a player for dissent meant the team were down to ten players for ten minutes. A stoic whole team defensive effort meant Ipswich didn’t capitalise with any goals in that period.

Well played Georgia Bingham for a particularly good first half and to player of the match Emma Baker. Wisbech need to take time this week to reflect on what they have the ability to change both individually and as a team to be ready to take on Bedford at home next Saturday.

Player of the match: Emma Baker.


WIN 3-2

Wisbech started the game very positve and confident but unfortunately were down 1-0 to a well worked short corner.

Wisbech still maintained control of the game passing the ball about with confidence. Joey gomm made it 1-1 with a superb solo effort finishing off with a flick in the top of the net. A pass from Fiona HP to Louise Sandall on the flick spot put wisbech in the lead. It was 3-1 at half time with a bit of a goalmouth scramble which jane peggs slotted home .

Wisbech were in total control all game but unfortunately after several efforts couldn’t find the goal. Huntingdon were lucky to get another goal from a deflection.

A big thank you to those players who stepped up and played two games and Fiona HP for stepping out of retirement to help us out.

The team should be proud of how they played this game, moving the ball around well and growing in confidence with every game played.

It was some of their best hockey to date.

Player of the match: Sue‘Swampy’ Robinson, Nicola Greville and Libby Bingham.


LOSS 0-8

Despite the fact they started with only 10 on the pitch the ladies started the game upbeat following on from last weeks win.

A very organised City team very quick to capitalise and Wisbech were soon 3-0 down. Wisbech continued to defend well but went in 5-0 down at half time.

After a positive half time team talk and change in formation Wisbech marked well and were able to play more offensively to make it more difficult for City to initially break through.

No subs and injuries eventually took its toll on the ladies towards the end of the second half but despite this they fought well to the end of the game and had a much better second half.