Wisbech Grammar School pupils are the pick of the bunch at Isle of Ely Athletics Championships
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from Wisbech Grammar School came out on top went they went head-to-head with schools from around Cambridgeshire at the Isle of Ely Athletics Championships.
64 of the school’s finest athletes went up against six other schools – King’s Ely, City of Ely, Thomas Clarkson Academy, Neale Wade, Cromwell Community College and Witchford Village College – in a range of Olympic events in King’s Lynn over the weekend.
Pupils from years seven, eight, nine and ten took part, and 20 were selected for the District Athletics Team for the County Championships next month after their fine performances.
Lewis Shipley won the 800m and the triple jump, Abbey Piccover took first place in the 200m and 800m and Tia Bideau came out on top in the 70m hurdles.
Year eight pupil Jack Robb won the 800m for his age group, Tanveer Sira won the hurdles, Angus Flint was victorious took first place in the discus, Issy Pope sprinted to success in the 100m and long jump, Rosie Muspratt won the girl’s 800m, Jessica Reed-Else won the 1,500m and Charlotte Mair won the 75m hurdles.
You may also want to watch:
In year nine, Haydn Buffham won the 80m hurdles, Ophelia Griffiths crossed the line first in the 1500m, Lucy Lim won the 75m hurdles and Isabella Oldershaw-Ellis was successful in both shot and discus.
And finally, in year ten, George Lemon won the 100m, Jack Trundley won the 400m and the 800m, Sam Birch won the high jump and Will Lankfer won in the discus.
- 1 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 2 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 3 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
- 6 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 7 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 8 Cafe to shut for good after eight years
- 9 Cookie firm praised by reality TV star Vicky Pattison opens new counter
- 10 Town turns orange to raise awareness of rare genetic condition
As a result of the performances in this competition, 20 pupils have been selected for the District Athletics Team due to compete at the County Championship on June 11:
• Year 7: Lewis Shipley, Abbey Piccover and George Gowler;
• Year 8 and 9: Issy Pope, Rosie Muspratt, Ophelia Griffiths, Lucy Lim, Charlotte Mair, Haydn Buffham, Annie Bennett and Isabella Oldershaw-Ellis.
• Year 10: George Lemon; Jack Trundley, Genevieve Tibbett, Fraser Brown, Tom Collie, Sam Birch, Ellie Payne-English and Will Lankfer.
Head of Athletics, Sally Webb said, “This is a wonderful result for Wisbech Grammar School. It was a fantastic team effort which secured the overall win. Well done to everyone that competed. Our sights are now set on the County Championship on 11 June.”