Wisbech maintain challenge for league title with victory against Cogenhoe
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town kept up their challenge for the United Counties League Premier Division title with a 3-0 victory against Cogenhoe United last Saturday.
Leading scorer Alex Beck, midfielder Adam Milson and debutant Josh Davison hit the goals in the space of nine second-half minutes after the visitors were reduced to 10 men.
Beck, Michael Frew and Josh Ford all had good chances to open the scoring in a goalless opening half, but the turning point of the game came on 56 minutes when Cogenhoe’s Sean McBride was shown a straight red card for a two-footed challenge on Jon Fairweather.
Within minutes of the dismissal, Wisbech took command. Beck scored his 34th of the season with an excellent finish and shortly afterwards Millson doubled their lead.
Young striker Davison, who is on loan from Peterborough United, then sealed victory in front of a crowd of 188. He tucked away a Frew pass to complete the scoring only moments after being introuced as a substitute.
Manager Gary Setchell said “I felt we were in full control of the game. We had five or six good chances in the first half and Cogenhoe didn’t really have an opportunity all game.
“It was a workmanlike rather than spectacular performance from us, but that was understandable on a difficult pitch.
- 1 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 4 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 7 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
“We had to keep doing the right things and we get our rewards in the end. A great finish by Alex put us ahead and the other goals soon followed.”
Wisbech remain second in the Premier Division table, six points behind leaders Yaxley but with three matches in hand.
Wisbech host third-placed Newport Pagnell this Saturday.