Wisbech eight-ball pool players aim to help England retain European crown
FOUR eight-ball pool players from Wisbech are confident they can help the England B team retain their European Championship crown at this weekend’s event in Rhyl, North Wales.
Darren McCarthy has represented his country for the last 12 years and joins the 11-man squad with Scott Chambers and Eric Mohhammed who have been involved in the England set-up for eight.
The experienced trio are joined by Paul Fowler who will be competing at the competition for the first time.
McCarthy said: “We have every confidence we can retain our title.
“We have a full strength side and if we perform to our full potential there is absolutely no reason why we can’t win it.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s always between us, Scotland and Wales but the Scots are really our main rivals. We’ll be gutted if we don’t bring the title home.”
Teams from France, Ireland, Gibraltar and the Shetlands are also expected to feature at the event.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Burger entrepreneur excited to reopen as lockdown eases on May 17
- 3 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 4 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 5 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 6 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 9 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
The four players compete in the Wisbech area for the Black Bear Pub in Walsoken and individually in the singles league at The Venue (formerly The Supercue) in Chapel Road, Wisbech.