Wisbech eight-ball pool players aim to help England retain European crown
FOUR eight-ball pool players from Wisbech are confident they can help the England B team retain their European Championship crown at this weekend’s event in Rhyl, North Wales.
Darren McCarthy has represented his country for the last 12 years and joins the 11-man squad with Scott Chambers and Eric Mohhammed who have been involved in the England set-up for eight.
The experienced trio are joined by Paul Fowler who will be competing at the competition for the first time.
McCarthy said: “We have every confidence we can retain our title.
“We have a full strength side and if we perform to our full potential there is absolutely no reason why we can’t win it.
“It’s always between us, Scotland and Wales but the Scots are really our main rivals. We’ll be gutted if we don’t bring the title home.”
Teams from France, Ireland, Gibraltar and the Shetlands are also expected to feature at the event.
- 1 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 4 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 5 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 10 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
The four players compete in the Wisbech area for the Black Bear Pub in Walsoken and individually in the singles league at The Venue (formerly The Supercue) in Chapel Road, Wisbech.