Wisbech Cricket Club get their season underway with annual MCC meeting
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Cricket Club kicked off their season by welcoming old friends, MCC, to Harecroft Road for their 90th anniversary friendly.
The two teams meet every pre-season, and Mayor of Wisbech, David Hodgson, greeted the sides for the two-day encounter on Wednesday March 6.
MCC batted first, and despite Gary Freear taking three wickets, the visitors hit 157 and soon declared.
The Wisbech reply was led by captain Sam Albutt, who opened with 20, and Josh Bowers added 39.
Jack Hargreaves, who only arrived into the UK from Australia two days before, impressed with a knock of 34, and some solid batting led to Wisbech declaring at 167 for 7.
You may also want to watch:
Day two saw the MCC’s second innings kept in check by Paul Edgeller who took four for 24, and MCC were bowled out for 170, leaving Wisbech with a second innings target of 164 from 30 overs.
However, the weather would have the last say on the final day of the 90th anniversary meeting, and Wisbech closed for 136 for 8 in 25 overs, with Bowers again shining and scoring 60.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 6 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 7 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
Wisbech are back in action this weekend, and take on Downham Market in their first league encounter of the season.