Wisbech boxing club to host show at Fenland Park
By ADAM LAZZARI WISBECH Amateur Boxing Club will host their first open show in three years. A ring will be placed in the middle of Wisbech Town Football Club s pitch at Fenland Park and 15 bouts have been scheduled for an open air show on July 19. Wisbe
By ADAM LAZZARI
WISBECH Amateur Boxing Club will host their first open show in three years.
A ring will be placed in the middle of Wisbech Town Football Club's pitch at Fenland Park and 15 bouts have been scheduled for an open air show on July 19.
Wisbech ABC secretary Saphire Lee said: "Our club has a European champion in Eli Frankham and this will be the first time the people of Wisbech will be able to see him box and I'm expecting a fantastic night.
"Our shows have always been very popular in the past, but it's been a tragic situation for us over the last three years."
Club officials have been struggling to find a venue since they were prevented from using what was then the Isle College, on Ramnoth Road.
- 1 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 4 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 5 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 10 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
Mrs Lee said: "It's been really difficult for us and there were genuine fears that the club may have to close down.
"We get so many boys at the gym every week for training. It would have been heartbreaking to tell them they couldn't come any more.
"I ran into Jeff Fitt, who is on the Wisbech Football Club board and he asked me when were going to put another show on. I told him about our troubles. He went to a committee meeting, suggested the boxing show and came back to me and said everyone on the board was fully behind the idea.
"We had looked at several venues and most people weren't even interested in listening to us, so everyone at the boxing club is incredibly grateful to the generosity shown by Wisbech Town FC."
The boxing club is now looking for sponsors to help cover the costs of the show.
Anyone who feels they can help, should contact Mrs Lee on 01945 583266.
Contact Mrs Lee for tickets.