Depleted Wisbech blown away as juniors denied thrilling away win
- Credit: Wisbech Rugby Club
An injury-ravaged Wisbech Rugby Club were blown away against a strong Newmarket side.
Wisbech started poorly and never recovered in their 66-0 London 3 Eastern Counties League defeat on Saturday.
The Men in Red lost two key players to head injuries in a game where Raimondas Vinksna and Tom Goode impressed for the visitors.
Club captain David Wadsley said: “It was a hard day at the office.”
Wisbech travel to Ipswich YM on Saturday followed by the visit of Ely Tigers on December 11.
*Wisbech under 14s were involved in a 6-6 stalemate with Sudbury on Sunday.
Elliot Brown scored four tries as Ripley Mills also got on the scoresheet.
- 1 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 2 Driver escapes injury after lorry ploughs into back of broken-down van
- 3 Paddleboarder dies after getting into difficulty on river
- 4 Fraudster rented out homes for cannabis factories worth over £300k
- 5 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 6 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 7 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 8 Man suspected of touching child outside supermarket
- 9 Two vehicles in ditches after crash on A141 between March and Guyhirn
But back came Sudbury after half-time as a series of knock-ons allowed them to find a route back into the contest.
Wisbech defended solidly only to be denied in the final moments to level the game.
Coach Marcus Hall said: “Wisbech can hold their heads high, with the whole team pulling together to hold off Sudbury’s continues attacks towards the end of the second half."