Wisbech 15-21 Newmarket: Leonard Veenendaal’s men fail to claim local bragging rights as Newmarket pinch the points
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech’s end-of-year celebrations got lost in the fog last weekend as Newmarket secured an Eastern Counties League double.
Tries from James Powell and Adam Bunton and some accurate kicking gave Wisbech hope against their local rivals, but the Suffolk outfit were too powerful and secured a 21-15 success on a foggy afternoon in Fenland.
Newmarket helped themselves to two tries early on, before Powell reduced the arrears minutes before the break.
Wisbech went for the jugular in the second period and were rewarded for their ambition with another try, but the visitors dug in deep and increased their advantage courtesy of three penalties.
Bunton got on the score sheet after a flowing move involving the backs, but Newmarket held strong to seal the points.
You may also want to watch:
Leonard Veenedaal’s men return to action on January 7 when they travel to take on the Crusaders (2pm).
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 5 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 6 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 7 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Port welcomes 10 ships in a month from Latvia to The Netherlands
- 10 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election