Wisbech 15-21 Newmarket: Leonard Veenendaal’s men fail to claim local bragging rights as Newmarket pinch the points
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech’s end-of-year celebrations got lost in the fog last weekend as Newmarket secured an Eastern Counties League double.
Tries from James Powell and Adam Bunton and some accurate kicking gave Wisbech hope against their local rivals, but the Suffolk outfit were too powerful and secured a 21-15 success on a foggy afternoon in Fenland.
Newmarket helped themselves to two tries early on, before Powell reduced the arrears minutes before the break.
Wisbech went for the jugular in the second period and were rewarded for their ambition with another try, but the visitors dug in deep and increased their advantage courtesy of three penalties.
Bunton got on the score sheet after a flowing move involving the backs, but Newmarket held strong to seal the points.
You may also want to watch:
Leonard Veenedaal’s men return to action on January 7 when they travel to take on the Crusaders (2pm).
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 3 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 4 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 5 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 6 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 7 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 8 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 9 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter