Village cricketers gear up for annual 'lads vs dads' contest
- Credit: Ian Carter
For one village cricket club, who will win this year’s ‘lads vs dads’ match is anyone’s guess.
The annual event between Wimblington Cricket Club’s under 13s team and their parents returns to Parkfield Sports Club this Saturday at 1pm after a year out due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Coach Paul King helped organise the event with fellow coach Paul Cole, whose daughter Poppy also assists with the junior setup.
“We have done this match for the last three or so years and I think it’s a nice thing to do for the lads,” Paul said.
“The boys want to beat the dads, and some of the mums may join in, too.”
In 2018, the match ended in a draw, and Paul thinks the senior players may be put through their paces.
“Who will win this year is anyone’s guess,” he said.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 3 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 6 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 7 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 8 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 9 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
“The juniors learn from these games and pick up more skills each time.”
A presentation evening for the under 13s team will follow the match, with raffle prizes from contributors such as Skylark Garden Centre, Doddington Fish Bar and Ridgeons all on offer.
Wimblington Cricket Club is also looking for new players and committee members.
For more details, call Paul King on 01354 740041.