Wheals wins Britcar Endurance
WISBECH racing driver Jay Wheals produced a storming drive to win the latest Britcar Endurance Championship race at Brands Hatch. Wheals has been in sensational form in his debut season and claimed a pole position at the last round at Silverstone before t
WISBECH racing driver Jay Wheals produced a storming drive to win the latest Britcar Endurance Championship race at Brands Hatch.
Wheals has been in sensational form in his debut season and claimed a pole position at the last round at Silverstone before technical problems and a crash cost him any chance of points.
But on Saturday, Jay, driving a Marcos LM600 GT, once again produced a strong qualifying drive to claim seventh on the grid.
His race appeared to be over on the first lap when he spun on cold tyres and dropped to the back of the 37-car field.
But Wheals' response was immediate and by the end of the first lap, he was back up to 17th place.
He continued to push on and having successfully completed a compulsory pit stop in the 40-minute race, took the chequered flag and recorded the fastest lap.
- 1 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 2 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 3 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 4 Family's questions over Covid death of beloved hospital care worker
- 5 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Fenmen 'not far' from turning fortunes round despite second straight loss
- 10 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
Wheals said: "I thought I had blown my chances of the win after my first lap spin but I got my head down and went for it.
"The pit crew did a fantastic job with my pit stop, calling me in at just the right time.