Whaley pleased with Wisbech Town progress as Smith’s screamer secures Histon win
- Credit: Archant
Brett Whaley could not have got off to a better start as Wisbech Town boss - his new-look side kicked off pre-season with two impressive home wins.
As pleasing as the wins over Spalding United and Histon would be the quality of the performances.
Goals from debutants Sam Cubberley and Nick Davey saw the Fenmen come from behind to beat Spalding 2-1 on Saturday.
Last night, Whaley’s men produced an even better performance to beat Histon 1-0. Billy Smith’s screamer separated the two sides.
Whaley said: “You can’t read too much into the results but we performances were pleasing.
You may also want to watch:
“We defended well against Spalding but I told the players they needed to use the ball better.
“Histon was another step forward - we matched a good footballing side. They were two tough games which have stood us in good stead for the rest of pre-season.”
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 6 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 10 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
Wisbech have bolstered their ranks with the signing of winger Matt Sparrow, who has impressed in both pre-season run-outs, from Deeping Rangers.
Whaley said: “We felt we needed another wide man. He has pace and directness - and has done really well in his two games for us.”
Wisbech’s next friendly is the annual BKD Cup clash at March Town United. The game is particularly significant for Whaley, who twice managed Wisbech’s rivals. Also, the Hares’ new clubhouse will be open for business for the first time.
Whaley said: “I can’t wait to go back. I’m really pleased for them - a lot of people have worked so hard to get that facility. It will be nice to be a part of the occasion.”
Wisbech then host Soham Town Rangers in a pre-season friendly on Tuesday night.