VIDEO: Wisbech Town boss Appleby backs new-look strike force after Bacon signs for Fenmen
WISBECH Town boss Steve Appleby has backed his new-look strike force to fire the Fenmen to success after capturing the signature of former Linnet Chris Bacon.
Bacon became the third forward that Appleby has signed this summer after shining in Wisbech’s 1-1 draw with Boston United Reserves last night.
The 27-year-old, who was released by King’s Lynn Town this summer, joins fellow new strikers Liam Nimmo and Nick Davey at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
Appleby said: “Two of the best things to come out of the game were Chris’ performance and his signature. He’s got quality and I was very impressed.
“Last year we didn’t score enough goals and we drew too many games; Chris can help us put that right. I knew he was a quality player and he proved that last night. He’s fitting in straight away.”
You may also want to watch:
Bacon’s surging run set up Davey for Wisbech’s equaliser last night, in a game which also saw 21-year-old goalkeeper Ryan Rayner make an appearance for the Fenmen on trial. Appleby confirmed the club were “taking a look” at the former Stevenage ‘keeper.
In-form winger Ollie Gale continued his impressive pre-season form on Saturday as the Fenmen beat Pinchbeck United 1-0.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Gale followed up his hat-trick against Swineshead Institute with the winner against Pinchbeck, who had former Wisbech bad boy Tom Gosling in their ranks.
Appleby said: “Ollie’s done well. He’s a young lad pushing his claims for a place in the team as is Sam Murphy. If they do better than the others then they will play.”
Wisbech complete their pre-season preparations with a clash with Blackstones on Thursday and a trip to Spalding United on Saturday. The Fenmen host Wivenhoe Town in their first game in the Ridgeons Premier Division the following week.