VIDEO: Red-hot Bacon fires Wisbech Town to 3-0 victory over Norwich United
Ridgeons Premier Division: Norwich United 0 Wisbech Town 3
MORE ruthless finishing from in-form striker Chris Bacon helped Wisbech Town to a memorable 3-0 victory over high-flying Norwich United today.
The powerful frontman bagged a brace, taking his tally of goals to 15 for the season, as Wisbech secured what was only their second league win at Plantation Park in the last decade.
Norwich, who started the day fourth in the league, had carved out the better chances in an even first half but it was Wisbech who took the lead after 55 minutes.
Matt Lunn reacted quickest when Callum Reed’s cross-shot rebounded off the bar - and the winger had the simple task of slotting it home from eight yards.
The Fenmen began to take control as Bacon’s first strike on 77 minutes doubled their advantage. And the former Linnet was on the scoresheet again two minutes later as he finished a flowing Wisbech counter attack.
The result gives Steve Appleby’s troops their fifth consecutive win and stretches their unbeaten run to eight games. They have not lost since the 9-0 drubbing at Mildenhall Town on September 20.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 3 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
The Fenmen will travel to Norwich again in the Ridgeons League Challenge Cup Second Round on November 22. They host Stanway Rovers next weekend.
• Video courtesy of Wisbech Town’s website and programme editor Spenny Larham.
• Striker Bacon’s latest heroic performance came after he praised the “great harmony” at Wisbech - claiming that the club had given him a new lease of life. For the full exclusive interview click on the related-link at the top of this page.