VIDEO: Red-hot Bacon fires Wisbech Town to 3-0 victory over Norwich United
Ridgeons Premier Division: Norwich United 0 Wisbech Town 3
MORE ruthless finishing from in-form striker Chris Bacon helped Wisbech Town to a memorable 3-0 victory over high-flying Norwich United today.
The powerful frontman bagged a brace, taking his tally of goals to 15 for the season, as Wisbech secured what was only their second league win at Plantation Park in the last decade.
Norwich, who started the day fourth in the league, had carved out the better chances in an even first half but it was Wisbech who took the lead after 55 minutes.
Matt Lunn reacted quickest when Callum Reed’s cross-shot rebounded off the bar - and the winger had the simple task of slotting it home from eight yards.
You may also want to watch:
The Fenmen began to take control as Bacon’s first strike on 77 minutes doubled their advantage. And the former Linnet was on the scoresheet again two minutes later as he finished a flowing Wisbech counter attack.
The result gives Steve Appleby’s troops their fifth consecutive win and stretches their unbeaten run to eight games. They have not lost since the 9-0 drubbing at Mildenhall Town on September 20.
- 1 Body found in Wisbech road
- 2 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 3 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 4 Mayor opens Wisbech community hub
- 5 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 8 Cambridgeshire care homes back compulsory Covid-19 jabs for staff
- 9 Urgent police appeal to find man missing since Thursday
- 10 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
The Fenmen will travel to Norwich again in the Ridgeons League Challenge Cup Second Round on November 22. They host Stanway Rovers next weekend.
• Video courtesy of Wisbech Town’s website and programme editor Spenny Larham.
• Striker Bacon’s latest heroic performance came after he praised the “great harmony” at Wisbech - claiming that the club had given him a new lease of life. For the full exclusive interview click on the related-link at the top of this page.