VIDEO: Brave Wisbech Town shrug off nightmare week with emphatic win over league leaders
Ridgeons Premier Division: Dereham Town 1 Wisbech Town 2
WISBECH Town came from behind to beat league leaders Dereham Town on Saturday - bouncing back from a nightmare week in emphatic fashion.
The Fenmen faced the tough trip to Dereham in the same week that they had taken a 9-0 hammering at Mildenhall Town and their assistant manager Chris Dear had quit.
But Steve Appleby’s troops responded in style with a memorable performance which put smiles back on the faces of their travelling support.
Wisbech’s character looked like it was in for another test when, despite being on top, they conceded a controversial goal mid-way through the first half.
You may also want to watch:
The linesman had flagged for offside but, to the frustration of the Wisbech bench, the referee overruled his assistant and awarded the goal.
But the Fenmen continued to look dangerous with the pace of widemen Callum Reed and Matt Lunn and the power of striker Chris Bacon asking constant questions of the home side’s defence.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 7 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 8 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
And it was Bacon who drew his side level by converting the impressive Sam Murphy’s cross after 55 minutes.
Wisbech continued to pour forward and it was Bacon who found the winner 15 minutes from time - getting on the end of Stacy Cartwright’s teasing delivery.
The morale-boosting win leaves Wisbech fifth in the Ridgeons Premier Division. They host Hadleigh United on Saturday.