VIDEO: Brave Wisbech Town shrug off nightmare week with emphatic win over league leaders
Ridgeons Premier Division: Dereham Town 1 Wisbech Town 2
WISBECH Town came from behind to beat league leaders Dereham Town on Saturday - bouncing back from a nightmare week in emphatic fashion.
The Fenmen faced the tough trip to Dereham in the same week that they had taken a 9-0 hammering at Mildenhall Town and their assistant manager Chris Dear had quit.
But Steve Appleby’s troops responded in style with a memorable performance which put smiles back on the faces of their travelling support.
Wisbech’s character looked like it was in for another test when, despite being on top, they conceded a controversial goal mid-way through the first half.
The linesman had flagged for offside but, to the frustration of the Wisbech bench, the referee overruled his assistant and awarded the goal.
But the Fenmen continued to look dangerous with the pace of widemen Callum Reed and Matt Lunn and the power of striker Chris Bacon asking constant questions of the home side’s defence.
- 1 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 2 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 3 Over 6,000 homes approved across Cambridgeshire this year
- 4 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
- 5 Wisbech Swimming Club member gains place at British Swimming Championships final
- 6 Over 480 arrests for drink driving across county, say police
- 7 Mayor's visit inspires Fenmen to cup thrashing
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 10 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
And it was Bacon who drew his side level by converting the impressive Sam Murphy’s cross after 55 minutes.
Wisbech continued to pour forward and it was Bacon who found the winner 15 minutes from time - getting on the end of Stacy Cartwright’s teasing delivery.
The morale-boosting win leaves Wisbech fifth in the Ridgeons Premier Division. They host Hadleigh United on Saturday.