Victory treble for Wisbech Grammar School cricket starlets
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Grammar School’s cricket sides took the local bragging rights after three of their four teams beat Ely-based opponents last weekend.
The under 15’s took part in an exciting game at home against King’s Ely, and some excellent bowling from Wisbech Grammar School restricted King’s to 129 runs.
Wisbech Grammar School replied with a strong batting performance, spearheaded by George Lemon (King’s Lynn) scoring 45* and Jack Trundley (King’s Lynn) scoring 56*. Wisbech passed the score with 133 to win the match.
The school’s under 14’s played away at Ely, and William Gowler was the star of the show, notching up a magnificent 115.
William’s maiden century for the school helped Wisbech to a total of 168 from 30 overs, with the side’s bowlers aiding matters with more strong bowling; restricting Ely to 148 runs and taking the victory.
You may also want to watch:
The B team also recorded a good win against King’s Ely, restricting their East Cambs opposition to 76 runs and later hitting 78.
The school’s first XI were the only side to lose out last weekend, losing narrowly in a thrilling game to Ely.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
After superb batting from Oliver Short (King’s Lynn) scoring 54, Arran Shipley (Wisbech) scoring 51 and Ryan Hutler (Wisbech) scoring 54, Wisbech Grammar School posted 206 for three off 20 overs. Ely batted equally well; scoring 208 runs to win.
Director of Sport and Head of Cricket, Mr Phil Webb said: “This has been a magnificent weekend of cricket for Wisbech Grammar School, with excellent team performances and some incredible individual feats.”