Veteran duo clinch pairs trophy
WHILE the golfing world looks to Augusta and The Masters on the second weekend in April, the members of Tydd St Giles look closer to home to see the conclusion of six months work. Since last September teams have played for the right to qualify for the W
WHILE the golfing world looks to Augusta and The Masters on the second weekend in April, the members of Tydd St Giles look closer to home to see the conclusion of six months' work.
Since last September teams have played for the right to qualify for the Winter Pairs Final.
Using their best four scores from six to qualify, the top 20 pairs arrive to compete over 18 holes of Betterball Stableford.
Constant drizzle made the pace of the greens difficult to judge.
You may also want to watch:
So it was probably no surprise that the winning team contained someone who knows them better than most.
That was Derek Beba the course manager who has tended the greens since the club began.
- 1 Body found in Wisbech road
- 2 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 3 Mayor opens Wisbech community hub
- 4 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 5 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 6 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 7 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 10 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
He along with partner Mick Tiller shot an impressive 42 points off of 3/4 handicaps to see off three teams by one point.
It was a victory for the seniors as Derek, 67, and Mick, 73, were able to hold off a notable challenge from one of the club's impressive juniors Jordan Hart and his partner Brian Chadfield-Mohr.
Jordan and Brian's 21 points on the back nine saw them clinch second place on countback from both Jerry King and Vinny Day and Chris Bunting and Derek Hodgson.