Van der Meuwe wins Grand Final with St Albans Centurions
RUDIE van der Meuwe completed his best Rugby League season yet by helping St Albans Centurions thrash Coventry Bears 56-4 in Sunday’s Conference Premier Grand Final.
Van der Meuwe scored an unbelievable try that saw him sprint the whole length of the field to bring up the rampant Centurions’ 50th point.
The triumph, the club’s second in four years, capped off a great campaign which has seen him the Wisbech-based star play for his adopted country and finish as St Albans top try-scorer.
He said: “I’m absolutely ecstatic as before the game we expected it to be quite close and we went behind quite early on.
“It showed how good we have been this year and at the end of the game a Coventry player who I played with for Great Britain said we simply blew them away.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a great way to end the season and our coach, Shane Rampling, said it’s the best Centurions side he’s ever worked with.
“We play the game for our own pleasure so I’m immensely proud of everything I’ve achieved this year personally but I’m so delighted for everyone at St Albans.”
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000