Triple crown for Wisbech Grammar in hard-fought King’s encounters
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Hard fought contests against King’s Ely produced a decisive triple win for Wisbech Grammar School’s rugby sides, on Saturday.
In a rain-drenched encounter between the two first teams, the forwards locked horns in a tough battle at the front and the Wisbech side took an early lead before finding themselves trailing 27-24 with only 15 minutes left to play.
However, the Grammar School boys came back strongly to secure a 41-27 win, with tries from Ryan Hutler (3), Freddy Foreman (2), Willis Bennett (1) and Aiden Burt (1) and captain Patrick Webb kicking three conversions.
In other matches against King’s Ely, the second XV lost 17-7 at home, and there were away wins for the under 15 side (28-14) and the under 14s (46-5).
Head of rugby, Alex Laybourne said: “I am delighted with the successful weekend at the senior end of the school. The pupils are developing week on week and showed some well rounded performances in difficult conditions.
You may also want to watch:
“I am looking forward to using this momentum going into next week’s fixtures against Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School in London.”
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed