Triple crown for Wisbech Grammar in hard-fought King’s encounters
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Hard fought contests against King’s Ely produced a decisive triple win for Wisbech Grammar School’s rugby sides, on Saturday.
In a rain-drenched encounter between the two first teams, the forwards locked horns in a tough battle at the front and the Wisbech side took an early lead before finding themselves trailing 27-24 with only 15 minutes left to play.
However, the Grammar School boys came back strongly to secure a 41-27 win, with tries from Ryan Hutler (3), Freddy Foreman (2), Willis Bennett (1) and Aiden Burt (1) and captain Patrick Webb kicking three conversions.
In other matches against King’s Ely, the second XV lost 17-7 at home, and there were away wins for the under 15 side (28-14) and the under 14s (46-5).
Head of rugby, Alex Laybourne said: “I am delighted with the successful weekend at the senior end of the school. The pupils are developing week on week and showed some well rounded performances in difficult conditions.
You may also want to watch:
“I am looking forward to using this momentum going into next week’s fixtures against Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School in London.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 6 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary