Treacher nets on his debut in midweek win over Wroxham
Ridgeons Premier Division Wisbech Town 2 Wroxham 1 TOMMY TREACHER scored on his debut as Wisbech pulled off a shock win over Premier Division heavyweights Wroxham on Tuesday night. Rory Harper gave Wisbech a 23rd-minute lead with a back heel in the six-ya
Ridgeons Premier Division
Wisbech Town 2 Wroxham 1
TOMMY TREACHER scored on his debut as Wisbech pulled off a shock win over Premier Division heavyweights Wroxham on Tuesday night.
Rory Harper gave Wisbech a 23rd-minute lead with a back heel in the six-yard box after the ball was headed into his path following a corner.
Treacher took advantage of a defensive mix-up to double the lead in the 60th minute.
A Wroxham defender put too much power on a headed pass back to his goalkeeper and Treacher, signed from Peterborough League side Moulton Harriers, outmuscled the Norfolk man to tap into an empty net.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 3 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
- 4 Clinical Diss left singing in the rain as Saints rue positive display
- 5 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 6 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 7 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 8 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 9 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 10 You hope for a silver lining - and this wondrous tree is it
Wroxham pulled one back 10 minutes later but it turned out to be just a consolation goal.
Wisbech boss Steve Appleby said: "The lads worked incredibly hard and played some great football.
"Tommy's strong, got a good physical presence and he scores goals. I didn't want to sign anyone until the summer but I feel a few players need a bit of a kick up the backside and our season was at risk of fading out.
"I hope to bring a defender in before Saturday, but I can't name him at this stage.