Transformed Wisbech St Mary ready to make big impact in Kershaw Premier
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech St Mary manager Arran Duke is confident his side has put last season’s troubles behind them as they get set to attack the new campaign.
St Mary had a season to forget, finishing 15th out of 18 teams in the Kershaw Premier. But, boosted with some new signings, Duke is “100 per cent confident” his side will be a different proposition this time round.
Pre-season results have been promising - in their most recent game, they beat a King’s Lynn mixed side 2-0. New signing Edgaras Buzas, who has joined from Spalding United Reserves, bagged both goals.
St Mary kick off their league campaign with a home game with Lakenheath next Wednesday.
Duke said: “It’s taken some work but we are happy with what we have got. We have brought the right players in.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m 100 per cent confident we’ll do better than last season. Last season was a rebuilding year, which didn’t go to plan.
“We’ve changed things and so far, so good. It’s early days but there is a better vibe around the club and it feels like the whole club is moving forward.”
- 1 Parents jailed after 'shocking and upsetting' case of child cruelty
- 2 Council says enough is enough as HMO expansion refused
- 3 Homeless camped out in car park leave before 10am eviction deadline
- 4 Couple in disbelief after man urinates on property
- 5 Pupils play their part to mark poignant Red Arrows anniversary
- 6 Police bill for Camp Beagle tops £200,000 – and two arrests in one day
- 7 Jet crash, Peace in Our Time, the ferrymen and an Omnibus crash
- 8 Motorist comes to grief on A1 Black Cat roundabout
- 9 Council to evict homeless camped out in car park
- 10 Police detective gets suspended sentence after admitting dangerous driving
Wisbech Town completed their pre-season with a 3-1 win over a King’s Lynn Town XI. Matt Sparrow (2) and Charley Sanders scored the goals which secure the Denis Harris Memorial Trophy.
They kick off their UCL campaign with a home clash with Newport Pagnell Town on Saturday, 3pm start.
March Town United have an extra week to prepare for their Thurlow Nunn First Division opener against Halstead Town at Robin Goodfellows Lane on August 15, 3pm.
Jordan Gault and James Fiddes scored as the Hares beat Eaton Socon, who stepped in at short notice, 2-0.
Goals from Craig Gillies (2), Ash Blanchflower and Josh Britten helped Chatteris Town beat Sawston United 4-0, while Sam Hanslip’s goal was enough to see Outwell Swifts beat Mundford 1-0. The two Fen sides meet at Chatteris in their Kershaw Senior A opener next Wednesday.