CRICKET: Captain Freear back in form but Wisbech Town fall to Foxton during tough weekend
- Credit: Archant
There was double disappointment for Wisbech Town last weekend.
A tough Cambs & Hunts Premier League season continued with home defeat to Foxton in a high-scoring Whiting & Partners Division One clash last Saturday.
Wisbech were beaten by 24 runs at Harecroft Road after seeing their visitors pile up 273-4. Gary Freear’s men battled to 249 in reply with the skipper providing the biggest contribution of 73 as he featured in a 98-run opening stand with Danny Haynes (34).
Both men were among the victims of Foxton star Craig Park, who helped himself to 6-39, as Wisbech saw their final six wickets fall for the addition of just 44 runs.
They also came up short with the bat the following day when seeing their hopes of retaining the Rutland League Division One title dented.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech were skittled for just 103 when falling to a 157-run reverse at the hands of a Bourne side who could well succeed them as champions.
Kieran Haynes was the pick of the Wisbech performers with 4-42 as Bourne amassed 250. Brother Danny’s offering of 26 was the batting highlight.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
Wisbech face a busy Bank Holiday weekend with two Whiting & Partners Division One fixtures in three days.
They go to title-chasing Eaton Socon on Saturday and then visit Histon on Monday. Those trips sandwich a Rutland League clash at Oundle on Sunday.