Tight at top

NE14 HOCKEY EAST MEN S PREMIER DIVISION B City of P borough 2nd XI 0 Wisbech Town 0 THE top two in the division played out a goalless draw that saw excitement and tension throughout. The point keeps Wisbech top, but the title is in Peterborough s hands be


City of P'borough 2nd XI 0

Wisbech Town 0

THE top two in the division played out a goalless draw that saw excitement and tension throughout.

You may also want to watch:

The point keeps Wisbech top, but the title is in Peterborough's hands because they have a game in hand.

Wisbech took the game to their hosts right from the start.

Most Read

Sam Blunt went loose from the game's opening short corner, his flick just missing the top corner.

Wisbech's James Mansfield was shown a yellow card for a late tackle but a Peterborough player suffered a similar fate minutes later after a crude challenge on Dan Martell.

Wisbech had the bulk of the play in the first half but failed to work the home side's goalkeeper, while Peterborough's breaks were well defended.

Peterborough saw another yellow card in the second half as Martell was again fouled, this time on the way to goal.

Wisbech failed to convert the resulting short corner and Peterborough enjoyed their best period of the game when their numbers were restored.

Wisbech still had chances and Matt Levanda went through on goal only to see his effort saved and he was denied another scoring opportunity by the umpire's whistle for dangerous play.

Wisbech's task was made harder when Jon Shippey was shown a yellow card late on for a tackle but they weathered the storm to earn a draw.

Wisbech host Chelmsford second team tomorrow at 2.30pm.

Pelicans 1st XI 4

Long Sutton 1st XI 2

GARY Hales and Ash Taylor both hit a post for Long Sutton at the end of this tight encounter, but Pelicans came away with all the points.

Pelicans played the more pressing hockey of the two teams and were soon threatening the visitor's goal but it was 1-1 at the break.

The home side's well-worked goal from open play cancelled out by a smart Hales finish.

Pelicans went 2-1 up when Jimmy Harrison was unsighted and unable to block a penalty corner strike at the foot of a post.

Poor decision-making from keeper Jake Loweth led to a penalty stroke and this was converted with venom by the Pelican's striker.

Sutton found themselves back in the game with a crisp Hales shot lifted over the home keeper.

Pelicans responded with an unstoppable drag-flicked penalty corner.

Sutton piled on the pressure with Hales and Taylor hitting the woodwork but Sutton had been given no opportunity to settle by a hard working Pelicans side.

R.J. Wilson (Electrical) Man of the Match: Gary Hales.

Long Sutton entertain fourth-placed West Herts tomorrow at 1 pm.


Wisbech Town 3rd XI 4

City of Peterborough 5th XI 2

WISBECH secured valuable away points at City on Saturday.

Calm defending from Jordan Trundle and Toby George kept Town in the match but the visitors scored a breakaway goal at the end of the first half.

David Wood replied almost immediately for Wisbech with a superb individual goal.

Town entered the second half more determined.

Man of the Match Joe Brownlow was outstanding at left midfield and Wisbech found the net through Jon Boyall before Matt Goodwin made it 3-1.

After Peterborough pulled one back, fine saves from Kevin Shippey prevented them from equalising.

A final goal from Wisbech nudged the game from Peterborough's reach.

Wisbech entertain Boston first team tomorrow.



Wisbech 2nd XI 5

Cambridgeshire Nomads 2nd XI 3

WISBECH battled hard for victory against a team several places above them.

Nomads went 2-0 up before Wisbech were able to find the net through Jody Betts and Gary Freear.

The visitors regained the lead before half-time but they lost a player to a head injury.

Wisbech started to move the ball around and utilise the space and Betts snatched an equaliser.

The game then began to get fractious as Wisbech got the upper hand and Nomads began to question every decision made by the umpires.

Wisbech got in front after Karl Belding got on to the end of Betts' looping cross.

The Nomads goalkeeper received a yellow card for his protests.

With no opposition keeper Wisbech pressed hard but could not find the net.

Ironically it was only when the keeper returned from the sin bin that Wisbech sealed the victory through Paul Jackson.

Wisbech play at Cambridge University at 12.30pm tomorrow.


Wisbech Town 1st XI 0

Cambridge University 1st XI 2

WISBECH were dealt a heavy blow when visiting Cambridge University leapfrogged them into fifth in the table with a 2-0 win.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus