Three out, one in at Wisbech Town as Appleby admits Saturday’s draw was the final straw
WISBECH Town manager Steve Appleby has released three players after admitting Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Brantham Athletic was the final straw.
Craig Parker, Ash Murrell and Wayne Morris have all been allowed to leave the club as Appleby aims to get the Fenmen’s season back on track after a fantastic start has fizzled out.
He said: “You can’t stay loyal at all costs and Saturday was the final straw.
“Changes had to be made and I will keep tweaking things until we get it right. I want us to finish as high in the league as we can and have a good cup run and sometimes I’ll have to make tough decisions.
“There was nothing personal in moving those three players on. I’ve played with them, are friends with them and therefore didn’t find it easy but we need to freshen things up.”
You may also want to watch:
Parker scored three goals in his short-spell at the club, including two in the first ever game at the Tom Wood’s Beer Fenland Stadium, and the Fenmen boss believes he will eventually become a quality player.
“I have no doubts that Craig will become an excellent player,” said Appleby.
- 1 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 2 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 3 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 4 Man in court after more than £656k of cannabis seized
- 5 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry
- 6 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 7 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 8 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 9 Major youth football tournament cancelled for second year running
- 10 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
“He was flying in pre-season but I don’t think he’s produced the goods and progressed quite as quickly as we’d have liked since we’ve got going. He still needs to learn a few things and I wish him and the other two well for the future.”
The Wisbech manager is looking to add two further faces to his squad but has signed Stacy Cartwright, a 22-year-old left-sided player, from Boston Town.
Appleby said: “He’ll bring a bit of pace, tenacity and quality to our side.
“He’s a left-sided centre-half, that can play left-back and in midfield, and his versatility is a bonus.”