They’ll drink to that! Wisbech Rookies Netball stars lift Mojito Cup
- Credit: Archant
Rookies Regional Netball squad capped a memorable trip to the coast recently by lifting the Bournemouth Sevens Mojito Cup.
Some inspired performances from the Wisbech club saw them seal 10 wins from their 11 matches, earning them a place in the final of the competition against Peeks Netball Club.
Peeks, who were the only team to beat the Rookies previously, put up a good fight but the Fenland side were too strong and eased to a 12-5 victory.
Player of the match went to Heidi Milton, Carmen Hannibal-Stewart, Bea McCormack and Lucy Penney and Milton said their victory proved as a much needed tonic after a difficult league campaign.
She said: “The team was hit hard at the start of the season with our three shooters being out with illness and injury. This led to a mountain to climb on the points table and with a stretch of nine losses in a row and relegation looming, confidence was down throughout the team.
You may also want to watch:
“However, with some hard work and commitment we managed to storm the last three matches with big wins.”
For more information about the Rookies, contact Andrea Eggleton on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 4 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache