The future is bright for Fenland Gymnastics Academy stars after top display at county show
- Credit: Archant
A group of the region’s finest gymnasts from the Fenland Gymnastics Academy did their club proud by taking home a haul of medals from the 2016 County Levels Four and Three competition.
The youngsters travelled to Huntingdon Gymnastics Club for the competition, and showcased their skills both individually and in team competitions.
In the pre-level four category, eight-year-old Shanae Sigorney competed beautifully to be crowned county champion as well as gaining first place on all apparatus.
She will travel to Ipswich this weekend to compete in the East Regional Finals.
FGA dominated in the level four age 10/11 category, with Lilia Riley, Millie Full, Maddie Goode and Alysia Hawes all scooping medals for their performances.
Lilia finished in fourth on vault, beam and overall and took the silver on bars and Millie finished in first place on floor, second on beam and took bronze overall. Maddie, 11, took bronze on vault and floor and silver overall, and Alysia was crowned county champion after second places on bars and beam and first place on vault and floor.
In the level four age 12+ category, FGA’s only competitor, Emma Elam, competed well on all four apparatus and took home the gold medal for her vault, as well as silver medals for bars, floor and overall.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 8 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
FGA was then crowned team champions for the second year in a row after their team of Riley, Full, Goode and Hawes produced another top performance.
Sisters Georgia and Khiaeasa Dilley both competed well in a tough field in the level three age 13+ category, with Georgia managing to secure a bronze medal for her beam routine and Khiaeasa bagging fourth place on bars and fifth place overall.
Head coach, Claire Stock was delighted with the gymnasts’ performances. She said: “I am so pleased with how all our gymnasts performed.
“A lot of hard work and preparation has gone in over the summer to get ready for these championships so I’m delighted that it all paid off.
“We managed to crown two County Champions, get five gymnasts through to the Regional Finals and become Level Four Team champions for the second year running so all in all a fantastic day for us.
“We now look forward to the regional finals where we hope to build on this success.”