Tense finish in store
EASTERN COUNTIES DIVISION ONE Holt 16 Wisbech 10 WISBECH S promotion hopes are left hanging on a thread after losing this tight match. They have slipped to third place must win their home match against Fakenham tomorrow to retain any chance of going up.
EASTERN COUNTIES DIVISION ONE
Holt 16 Wisbech 10
WISBECH'S promotion hopes are left hanging on a thread after losing this tight match.
They have slipped to third place must win their home match against Fakenham tomorrow to retain any chance of going up.
In a fiercely competitive match, Holt kicked a penalty early in the first half to take a 3-0 lead into half time.
Calling upon veterans Alex Wilcox and Nigel Harrison to bolster the team, Wisbech replied early in the second half with an unconverted try from Ben Wicks.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 8 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
An impressive move through the Wisbech backs allowed winger Dave Brodie to touch down and give Wisbech a 10-3 lead.
The home team scored a push-over try that was converted to level the scores at 10-10.
Jacques Steynberg was outstanding in the centre and went close on several occasions. But Holt scored two penalties to secure victory.
Wisbech's second team suffered a 19-7 defeat at Broadland in their penultimate Norfolk Merit League match.
Wisbech's star player was Ricky Harnwell, who scored their only try and Sam Anderson kicked the conversion.
Wisbech travel to Fakenham tomorrow for their final match.