Tense finish in store
EASTERN COUNTIES DIVISION ONE Holt 16 Wisbech 10 WISBECH S promotion hopes are left hanging on a thread after losing this tight match. They have slipped to third place must win their home match against Fakenham tomorrow to retain any chance of going up.
EASTERN COUNTIES DIVISION ONE
Holt 16 Wisbech 10
WISBECH'S promotion hopes are left hanging on a thread after losing this tight match.
They have slipped to third place must win their home match against Fakenham tomorrow to retain any chance of going up.
You may also want to watch:
In a fiercely competitive match, Holt kicked a penalty early in the first half to take a 3-0 lead into half time.
Calling upon veterans Alex Wilcox and Nigel Harrison to bolster the team, Wisbech replied early in the second half with an unconverted try from Ben Wicks.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
An impressive move through the Wisbech backs allowed winger Dave Brodie to touch down and give Wisbech a 10-3 lead.
The home team scored a push-over try that was converted to level the scores at 10-10.
Jacques Steynberg was outstanding in the centre and went close on several occasions. But Holt scored two penalties to secure victory.
Wisbech's second team suffered a 19-7 defeat at Broadland in their penultimate Norfolk Merit League match.
Wisbech's star player was Ricky Harnwell, who scored their only try and Sam Anderson kicked the conversion.
Wisbech travel to Fakenham tomorrow for their final match.