Superb win for Wisbech second team
Norfolk Merit Division One Wisbech II 38 Deepings II 0 AS Wisbech first team took a well-earned break the seconds took to centre stage and did not disappoint. Wisbech overcame Deepings by continually running the ball and making the most of a speedy back
Norfolk Merit Division One
Wisbech II 38 Deepings II 0
AS Wisbech first team took a well-earned break the seconds took to centre stage and did not disappoint.
Wisbech overcame Deepings by continually running the ball and making the most of a speedy back division countering Deepings' strength in the tight.
Dave Brodie scored the opening try with a powerful run through the centre and Sam Anderson converted for 7-0 after 15 minutes.
Elliot Peck's superb run set up a ruck, Agris Kokar drove forward and the ball was quickly moved on to Ben Dawson who sprinted into the corner for 12-0.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 3 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
Within five minutes of half time James Rose, looking accomplished at fly-half, kicked for territory in Deepings' half, Peck put the defender under pressure and snatched the ball to score a magnificent individual try.
Anderson's conversion made it 26-0 at half-time.
Making a raft of changes at the interval, Wisbech began to get on top of the Deepings forwards.
Returning from injury, Ben Chapman put in some good work and it was his break away 10 minutes into the half that put Raimus away for Wisbech's fourth try.
Wisbech were now dominating with Ricky Harnwell continuing to beat defenders, Jim Mitchell performing well at loose head and Matt Mitchell impressing at No. 8. Substitute Matt Gill went over in the corner to make it 31-0 before Raimus sealed a big win with the last try in the dying moments. Anderson was successful with the conversion.
Coach Steve Drawbridge was on hand to run the rule over the second team in readiness for next week's games as the first team travel to Upminster in their London North East Division Three match while the seconds entertain Wymondham in the Norfolk League.
Both matches kick off at 2.30pm.
A coach will be leaving Wisbech's ground at 9.30am for the first team match and places can be booked for �10 by ringing Drawbridge on 07515 119605.