Wisbech Grammar School praised for their ‘remarkable’ performance
- Credit: Archant
The 1st XV Rugby Team at Wisbech Grammar School hailed for ‘stunning season’ – winning ten of their twelve fixtures.
A report by Angus Savage, founder of Fifteen Rugby, online rugby magazine, outlined Wisbech Grammar’s performance this year:
“Wisbech Grammar School had a stunning season, winning ten of their twelve fixtures, including victories over opposition with far greater resources such as Worksop College.
“They also secured three wins from four on their tour of the USA. Wisbech have just 36 rugby players in the school, from a possible pool of 62, so a season of such success is a huge achievement.
Wisbech Grammar were pipped to the post by Hayes, and this was Angus’ update:
You may also want to watch:
“Each of the other shortlisted schools deserve great credit too though, in particular Wisbech Grammar School, who were engaged in a battle royale with Hayes in the public vote as the two schools secured 73 per cent of the vote between them.
“With just 366 pupils in their school, their performances have been truly remarkable, particularly given that just 36 play rugby in 6th form. Twelve wins from ten was a remarkable return, as shown by the fact that the likes of Scotland international Ali Price and a number of England’s Red Roses voted for them in the poll.”
- 1 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 2 Busy month as port handles nine ships in May
- 3 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 4 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 5 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 6 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 7 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Free public transport app launched to help Cambs passengers
Wisbech Grammar School’s Head of Rugby, Alex Laybourne, said:
“Just to be shortlisted in such prestigious company is an accolade in itself, but I am delighted that we also managed to come runner up, securing 33 per cent of the public vote and running an excellent Hayes side closely in a tight battle to be awarded Emerging Schools Team of the Season.”