Steve Appleby named new manager of Wisbech Town
STEVE Appleby has been named as the new manager of Wisbech Town. Appleby was confirmed as the Fenmen s new manager after weeks of speculation, following last night s Ridgeon s Premier League game with Ely City. He said: I developed a great affection for
STEVE Appleby has been named as the new manager of Wisbech Town.
Appleby was confirmed as the Fenmen's new manager after weeks of speculation, following last night's Ridgeon's Premier League game with Ely City.
He said: "I developed a great affection for the club during my time at Fenland Park as a player and as assistant player/manager under Roy McManus."
Appleby will be assisted by former Fenman Chris Dear, with Mark Jimson taking the role of player-coach.
You may also want to watch:
He added: "We have a great bunch of players here and myself, Chris and Mark are looking forward to working with the lads during the rest of this season and into next season and at the new ground."
Dear, who made his last appearance for the Fenmen back in 2007, is equally raring to go.
- 1 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 2 Busy month as port handles nine ships in May
- 3 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 4 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 5 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 6 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 7 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Free public transport app launched to help Cambs passengers
He said: "I can't wait to get started. We're lucky enough to have inherited an excellent squad of players, and with Mark Jimson getting back to fitness and Stuart Ablett still to return, we have plenty of strength in depth and options to try out."
The new management team's first outing should be this Saturday with the visit of Leiston to The Nest.
AN excellent appointment. Steve was an incredibly popular player and captain who always gave 100 per cent.Assistant Manager Chris Dear and Coach Mark Jimson are Wisbech through and through. This should prove to be an ideal blend as Chris and Mark know the local scene in depth and Steve has excellent contacts further afield.They inherit a great squad of players from Setch and Ross… let’s hope they can keep them together and build a side to be proud of.RICHARD MEEKFakenham
• Send us your reaction by clicking here.