Steve Appleby named new manager of Wisbech Town
STEVE Appleby has been named as the new manager of Wisbech Town. Appleby was confirmed as the Fenmen s new manager after weeks of speculation, following last night s Ridgeon s Premier League game with Ely City. He said: I developed a great affection for
STEVE Appleby has been named as the new manager of Wisbech Town.
Appleby was confirmed as the Fenmen's new manager after weeks of speculation, following last night's Ridgeon's Premier League game with Ely City.
He said: "I developed a great affection for the club during my time at Fenland Park as a player and as assistant player/manager under Roy McManus."
Appleby will be assisted by former Fenman Chris Dear, with Mark Jimson taking the role of player-coach.
He added: "We have a great bunch of players here and myself, Chris and Mark are looking forward to working with the lads during the rest of this season and into next season and at the new ground."
Dear, who made his last appearance for the Fenmen back in 2007, is equally raring to go.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 3 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 4 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 7 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 8 Travel firm to send our special Covid carers on a 'thank you' holiday
- 9 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 10 Detectives given longer to question Downham Market murder suspects
He said: "I can't wait to get started. We're lucky enough to have inherited an excellent squad of players, and with Mark Jimson getting back to fitness and Stuart Ablett still to return, we have plenty of strength in depth and options to try out."
The new management team's first outing should be this Saturday with the visit of Leiston to The Nest.
AN excellent appointment. Steve was an incredibly popular player and captain who always gave 100 per cent.Assistant Manager Chris Dear and Coach Mark Jimson are Wisbech through and through. This should prove to be an ideal blend as Chris and Mark know the local scene in depth and Steve has excellent contacts further afield.They inherit a great squad of players from Setch and Ross… let’s hope they can keep them together and build a side to be proud of.RICHARD MEEKFakenham
• Send us your reaction by clicking here.