Squad selection a welcome headache for Appleby as Wisbech Town continue fine form
SQUAD selection is providing Fenmen boss Steve Appleby with a welcome headache as in-form Wisbech Town continue their charge up the Ridgeons Premier Division.
Appleby has allowed Ollie Gale and Nick Davey to play for Yaxley this week but will recall the duo for Saturday’s league trip to Woodbridge Town. Matt Lunn and Anthony Reeve are unavailable.
The Fenmen boss said he will do whatever it takes to keep his players happy and match-fit, with Wisbech facing four away games in 11 days.
Appleby said: “I don’t ever want to stop people from playing football and Ollie and Nick needed game time. It helped us, and Yaxley, so it made sense.
“It’s hard to keep people happy but it’s a nice problem to have. I try to be honest with everyone because football has changed over the years - it’s a squad game now.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve got a good bunch of lads and although I’ve got tough decisions to make we need to keep pulling together during this tough period.”
Goals from Lunn, Liam Nimmo and Callum Reed helped the Fenmen beat high-flying Stanway Rovers 3-1 to win their sixth consecutive game in all competitions on Saturday.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 7 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 8 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 9 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 10 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
Fifth-placed Wisbech, unbeaten in nine games, also travel to Haverhill Rovers next Tuesday.