Squad selection a welcome headache for Appleby as Wisbech Town continue fine form
SQUAD selection is providing Fenmen boss Steve Appleby with a welcome headache as in-form Wisbech Town continue their charge up the Ridgeons Premier Division.
Appleby has allowed Ollie Gale and Nick Davey to play for Yaxley this week but will recall the duo for Saturday’s league trip to Woodbridge Town. Matt Lunn and Anthony Reeve are unavailable.
The Fenmen boss said he will do whatever it takes to keep his players happy and match-fit, with Wisbech facing four away games in 11 days.
Appleby said: “I don’t ever want to stop people from playing football and Ollie and Nick needed game time. It helped us, and Yaxley, so it made sense.
“It’s hard to keep people happy but it’s a nice problem to have. I try to be honest with everyone because football has changed over the years - it’s a squad game now.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve got a good bunch of lads and although I’ve got tough decisions to make we need to keep pulling together during this tough period.”
Goals from Lunn, Liam Nimmo and Callum Reed helped the Fenmen beat high-flying Stanway Rovers 3-1 to win their sixth consecutive game in all competitions on Saturday.
- 1 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
Fifth-placed Wisbech, unbeaten in nine games, also travel to Haverhill Rovers next Tuesday.