Speculation about Tommy Treacher leaving Wisbech Town is dismissed by manager Appleby at fans forum
WISBECH Town boss Steve Appleby dismissed rumours of a rift with striker Tommy Treacher during the club’s fans forum last night.
Speculation was mounting that Treacher - who has been used mainly from the bench during recent matches - was about to walk out on the Fenmen after hitting out on Facebook about his limited role.
However, Appleby told fans that the striker, his first signing as manager at the club, was going nowhere.
He said: “Tommy loves playing for Wisbech, for me and for Chris Dear.
“I understand the fans’ concerns but I’ve told Tommy I don’t want him to go and his comments online have been blown out of proportion.
“I’ve had a word in his ear about being a man and coming to see me so that we can thrash out things because there’s right ways and wrong ways of doing things and I’ve told him so.
“At the start of the season he was scoring goals and taking his chances but then he got a calf injury. Since then he’s not really had a look in.
- 1 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 Council’s final meeting of 2021 to include minute’s silence for those lost
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 6 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 7 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 8 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 9 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 10 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
“Ash Stevens had to wait for his turn so there’s no hidden agenda - if I didn’t like him he would be gone. I haven’t got any favourites but Tommy’s just got to be patient.
“I’ll always do what I think is right for Wisbech Town Football Club.”
Appleby spoke openly and honestly to the small gathering of supporters as he joined a five-man panel which included board member Dick Creasey, joint reserve boss Darren Edey, new chairman Barry Carter and club stalwart David ‘Snips’ Parsons.
He told fans that Andy Furnell “does things which supporters don’t see” after being asked why the ageing frontman wasn’t substituted earlier in recent matches including Monday’s 3-0 victory over Mildenhall Town.
He re-affirmed his desire to finish in the top six this season but didn’t want to go “over the top” with his belief that his outfit is “underachieving” because a couple of victories could send his side fifth.
The Fenmen boss also stated the club were hoping for some silverware in the league cup after reaching the quarter finals.
Both Appleby and Edey defended the returning Billy Smith, who came in for criticism amongst fans for his lack of loyalty after re-joining the club for the third time.
Edey stated he’d been an “absolute pleasure” to work with since returning but admitted it was up to the winger to “win fans over” himself.
The joint reserves boss said his side would be “extremely disappointed” if they didn’t achieve promotion after their scintillating pre-Christmas form. Much like his first team counterpart, he is also hoping for success in a cup competition.
Away from the pitch Creasey and Carter admitted it was “unlikely” that the youth side would enter the FA Youth Cup next season because it’s a “very expensive” competition to play in.
The pair also said further youth sides affiliated to the club could only be set-up with more help from volunteers across Fenland.
Carter also stated the club were “still in the black” but had a few impending bills to meet. However, further funds are hoping to be raised through the public’s improved use of the new clubhouse which is now open and available for hire seven days a week.
Plans to finish the kitchen have been delayed slightly due to the estimated cost of around �5,000 - but the supporters’ club have pledged to help raise funds by holding a regular car boot sale at the ground, an idea which was approved by Carter.
The floodlights for the reserves pitch - still currently at the Nest in Outwell, the Fenmen’s temporary home while their new ground was being built - will hopefully be moved and installed during the summer even though Carter described it as “not a cheap job”.
The humble Snips was praised for his work in maintaining both pitches - especially the new reserves pitch which is deemed better than many around the county. It was also stated that the second-string will only use the first team’s pitch for important fixtures.
Creasey said the club was “moving forward” but while players and directors may come and go the club would be nothing without its loyal supporters. All panel members admitted there had been some “excellent gates” since the club moved to its new home at the Tom Wood’s Beer Fenland Stadium in August.
Website and programme editor Spencer Larham was praised heavily for his tireless work in promoting the club and Appleby declared the club’s website as one of, if not the “best around” in non-league circles.
However, he urged fans to have “a little think before you type”, stating that certain comments on the online forum “overshadowed” Monday’s victory.
The overall mood amongst the club’s hierarchy and supporters was that with the new ground and improved playing outfit the club was in the best possible position to progress. A clear desire to move up the non-league ladder was emphasised.
A fans’ forum is now expected to be held every couple of months.