Slideshow: Doddington women display kickboxing skills
By ADAM LAZZARI KICKBOXING can appear to be a quite brutal pastime but women in Doddington are embracing the martial art. The Falcons Academy of Martial Arts was formed at the end of 2007. It is run by black belt instructor Hadleigh Kirby and his wife Lin
By ADAM LAZZARI
KICKBOXING can appear to be a quite brutal pastime but women in Doddington are embracing the martial art.
The Falcons Academy of Martial Arts was formed at the end of 2007.
It is run by black belt instructor Hadleigh Kirby and his wife Linda and takes on only female pupils.
Mrs Kirby said: "I thought a few women in the area would be interested in doing something a bit it different to keep fit.
"From the feedback I got talking to the mums where my child goes to at the Lionel Walden Primary School in Doddington I found that many were a bit intimidated at the idea of doing a class with men so I set up the Falcons Academy with my husband for women.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 3 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 4 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 6 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 7 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 8 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 9 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
- 10 Man arrested after 'game of hide and seek' with police dogs and helicopter
"Their fitness has improved greatly through kickboxing but they are also becoming quite competitive and keen to progress."
Three members: Angela Stocker, Debbie Stafford and Jane Ward recently passed their second grading to become red belts.
Mrs Kirby, who took up kickboxing in the mid 1990s, is expecting to take her black belt grading in June.
The Falcons Academy also has close links with March-based Nighthawks Kickboxing Club.
Falcon members will be taking part in a competition organised by Nighthawks, next month.
Mrs Kirby said: "I got into kickboxing through my husband have really enjoyed it.
"It is important to be able to defend yourself and you learn skills which enable to you to block and avoid an attack and disable your opponent. I've never had to you use it in a real life situation but you never know when you might."
She added: "we're a friendly club and we are always happy to welcome new members."
The Falcons Academy of Martial Arts holds sessions at the Methodist Hall, Doddington every Wednesday from 7.45-9.15pm.
Mr and Mrs Kirby also teach kick boxing to juniors at the George Campbell Leisure Centre, March from 5.30pm on Fridays.
For more information contact Mrs Kirby on 01354 740925.