Skipper Henry Thornton bags hat-trick as Wisbech Grammar School’s rugby stars see off Ratcliffe College
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Grammar School rugby captain Henry Thornton led from the front in his side’s hard-fought 40-36 success over Ratcliffe College.
Thornton helped himself to a hat-trick of tries as the local lads edged the Leicestershire outfit last week.
Early tries from Matt Holden and the first of Thornton’s treble put Wisbech in the driving seat, but Ratcliffe fired back with a try of their own.
Ben York extended Wisbech’s advantage soon after, but the visitors replied once more to reduce the arrears.
The impressive Jack Trundley ran in his ninth try of the season just before the break to give his side a 26-14 advantage, but Ratcliffe responded well in the second period and took the lead courtesy of three quick-fire tries.
You may also want to watch:
Thornton rallied his men and dotted down twice more to edge the Fenland side ahead, and they managed to secure the points with some determined defending – despite seeing Ratcliffe run in a late try.
Alex Laybourne, head of Rugby, said: “I’m delighted for the team. They worked hard throughout the game and secured a great win.”
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 3 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 6 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink