NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Wisbech St Mary put to the sword by high-flying Swaffham Town in heavy home defeat
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech St Mary boss Joe Simpson won’t dwell on a heavy home defeat last Saturday.
Saints were thumped 7-0 by promotion-chasing Swaffham Town in a Thurlow Nunn League First Division North clash.
They fell behind inside the opening minute at the ABC Quality Meats Stadium and were four goals adrift by the interval.
A clinical visiting side added three further goals in the second period while debutant Ryan Harnwell was closest to a reply for Saints.
The former Wisbech Town man arrived late last week following a brief spell at Yaxley.
Simpson said: “A slow start cost us and we found it difficult to get back into the game against a good side who put us the sword.
“We fell behind after 55 seconds and it was always going to be an uphill task from there.
- 1 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 3 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 4 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 5 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 6 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 7 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 8 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 9 Donkeys' grassland could be replaced with seven homes
- 10 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
“We missed four or five chances which could have made the game very different, but we’ll dust ourselves down and move on.
“We’ve had a couple of good victories lately and we’re improving a lot.”
Saints head to Haverhill Borough tomorrow, 3pm.