NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Wisbech St Mary put to the sword by high-flying Swaffham Town in heavy home defeat
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech St Mary boss Joe Simpson won’t dwell on a heavy home defeat last Saturday.
Saints were thumped 7-0 by promotion-chasing Swaffham Town in a Thurlow Nunn League First Division North clash.
They fell behind inside the opening minute at the ABC Quality Meats Stadium and were four goals adrift by the interval.
A clinical visiting side added three further goals in the second period while debutant Ryan Harnwell was closest to a reply for Saints.
The former Wisbech Town man arrived late last week following a brief spell at Yaxley.
You may also want to watch:
Simpson said: “A slow start cost us and we found it difficult to get back into the game against a good side who put us the sword.
“We fell behind after 55 seconds and it was always going to be an uphill task from there.
- 1 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 2 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 3 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 8 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 9 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 10 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
“We missed four or five chances which could have made the game very different, but we’ll dust ourselves down and move on.
“We’ve had a couple of good victories lately and we’re improving a lot.”
Saints head to Haverhill Borough tomorrow, 3pm.