Sad Wisbech’s sinking feeling

NE14 HOCKEY EAST MEN S PREMIER DIVISION B Bourne 1st XI 3 Wisbech Town 1st XI 2 WISBECH fell from the summit of the table after a disappointing performance. The visitors were down to the bare bones of their squad due and travelled with only 11. They were



Bourne 1st XI 3 Wisbech Town 1st XI 2

WISBECH fell from the summit of the table after a disappointing performance.

You may also want to watch:

The visitors were down to the bare bones of their squad due and travelled with only 11.

They were made to pay for this when Matt Levanda was injured after a bright start. The youngster carried on gamely but while Wisbech were reorganising they fell behind.

Most Read

An unmarked player at the top of the circle was given time and space to smash the ball home.

Poor defending allowed Bourne to score again before half-time.

The second half saw Wisbech again dominate possession but Bourne always looked dangerous on the break.

Dan Martell and Brad Apted were continually fouled as they broke forward for Wisbech.

Bourne grabbed a third goal after a couple of fortunate deflections and it looked like the game was over.

James Mansfield's yellow card for a foul only increased the feeling.

But Wisbech's fight-back began with Levanda grabbing a close-range goal after a scramble in the goalmouth while Wisbech still had just 10 players.

With the restoration of Mansfield Wisbech attacked with renewed spirit.

Apted scored a second with a few minutes remaining and Wisbech sensed they could salvage something from the game.

Bourne tried to run the clock down at every opportunity and finally the umpires lost patience and showed a yellow card when a Bourne player prevented Wisbech taking a free hit for the third time.

Wisbech had a final chance but Sam Markille put it over the bar and the clock finally beat them.

Wisbech host Colchester tomorrow at 2.30pm.

Bury St Edmunds 1st XI 2 Long Sutton 1st XI 4

DANNY Sisson scored two and set one up on his first start for Long Sutton.

Sutton took a little time to settle, but the home team opened the scoring inside five minutes.

A lifted shot from the right side was well saved by Jake Loweth in the Sutton goal, but he was unable to recover as the rebound was converted from the far post.

This lifted the Sutton team and they began to control the midfield with ex-Bury man Jeremy Watt dominating possession.

Watt began a move down the right side, his pass to Nick Ellis finding Sisson, who coolly found Will Dean to convert with an unstoppable flicked shot, his first for the club.

A Sutton short corner just before half-time was calmly converted by Gary Hales, following Ben Smith's initial shot.

The second half was a more cagey affair.

Bury pressed on and were thwarted by great defensive work from Tom Baguley and Stu Belding.

This more adventurous style led to opportunities for Sutton and it was Sisson who opened Sutton's second half account with a sweetly taken reverse stick drive - his first NE14 Hockey Premier B goal.

He added to his tally shortly after, reacting quickly to a driven ball to the left, he dived to deflect the ball past the on-looking goalkeeper.

Bury scored following a questionable umpiring decision late in the game, but it was little more than a consolation.

R.J. Wilson (Electrical) Man of the Match: Danny Sisson.




Wisbech Town 2nd XI 2 Bourne 2nd XI 2

WISBECH stormed into a 2-0 lead but were left hanging on for a point.

The first half went according to plan for Wisbech as a combination of tight marking at the back and confident passing in attack left Bourne with nowhere to go.

Lee Peck scored with a penalty flick after a goal-bound shot hit a Bourne defender on the chest.

Jody Betts doubled the lead with a shot from an acute angle.

There were several other chances that went begging as good crosses went unconverted.

Wisbech were to rue the missed chances as Bourne got their act together in the second half and made a game of it.

The visitors scored a fortunate first goal when a shot from outside the circle went in off a Wisbech foot, but was given.

After this, Wisbech seemed to lose concentration while Bourne started to pass the ball around and put the defence under a lot of pressure which eventually created a well taken goal.

Wisbech are at Market Deeping tomorrow for an 11am start.


Cambridge University 3rd XI 1 Wisbech Town 2nd XI 0

TOWN were undone by a goal early in the first half that was completely against the run of play.

In what turned into being nearly their only attack on goal in the first half, Cambridge put together a fluent passing move and scooped their decisive goal.

Wisbech showed resolve and continued to force the Cambridge side back.

Steph Hanlon was Wisbech's Player of the Match for her sheer drive and persistence.

Other fine Wisbech performances came from Leanne Williamson, Lou Sandall, Kat Doyle and Fiona Shields.

While Shelley Jones, and Gilly and Georgina Dunn continued to force the University defence to play the ball back, but were unable to achieve the equaliser needed.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter