RUGBY: Wisbech Rugby Club present £2,500 cheque to Savenaca Koroibulileka Trust after pre-season match against Oakham
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Rugby Club presented a cheque for £2,500 to a charity after a pre-season march at the weekend.
The funds for the Savenaca Koroibulileka Trust, which was set up in memory of the Oakham rugby player, were presented by Wisbech chairman Leonard Veenendaal to Oakham Rugby Club past president Keith Crellin.
Mr Veendndaal said: “We felt this fixture would provide us with a tough pre-season warm up but also appropriate to reconnect with a club we had a lot of history with as part of our 70th anniversary celebrations.
“Wisbech Rugby Club used to regularly play Oakham up to around the mid 1980’s when Wisbech started league rugb”y.
He added that the match at the weekend was “tough but highly entertaining.
You may also want to watch:
“Oakham took the spoils with a narrow 19-17 win over the host. Wisbech will hope to build on this good performance when they open their London 3 Eastern Counties league campaign away to Southwold RFC this Saturday, September 9. Kick off is at 3pm.”
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 9 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 10 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs