RUGBY UNION: Wisbech Wildcats roar to Junior Plate final victory
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Wildcats lifted the Cambs Junior Plate for the second consecutive year after seeing off St Ives 2nds with ease at the weekend.
The town side’s second-string sauntered to a 37-3 win on a weekend that saw all four Cambridgeshire RFU cup finals take place at Harecroft Road.
James Patrick opened the scoring for the hosts early on with a powerful try before St Ives responded with a penalty.
Wisbech’s second try arrived thanks to Ethan Garford, who collected a St Ives kick in his own half and darted off down the wing before cutting in and offloading to Connor Lucas to dotted down.
A third try from Harry Newman followed after a spell of Wisbech pressure, before substitute Ramos Vinksna came on in the second half and helped himself to two more tries.
You may also want to watch:
Ben Chapman capped a fine individual performance with a try and Rory Wallis rounded off Wisbech’s point-scoring with a skilful individual try.
Wisbech head coach, Leonard Veenendaal, said: “Ben Chapman, Skippy Parsons and Connor Lucas put in strong performances but the Wisbech Wildcats Round Table man-of-the-match was awarded to fly-half Jack Malkin who controlled the game very well.”
- 1 Independent cinema forced to cancel film screenings due to vandalism
- 2 'Off they go!' - family friends cycle from Wales to Wisbech
- 3 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 4 Fundraiser launched for funeral of woman who died of Covid-19
- 5 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 6 Freemasons donate £500 each to two local charities
- 7 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 10 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused