ROUND-UP: Glory for Wisbech and Leverington in weekend fixtures
THERE was success for Wisbech Firsts, Seconds and Fourths and double success for Leverington at the weekend.
• GARY Freear took three wickets and scored 83 runs to help Wisbech Firsts to a one-wicket victory against Khalsa CC in Tucker Gardner Division One.
Tanwir Afzal scored 111 runs for the visitors to Harecroft Road but was ran out. They were all out for 247. Freear took 3-46, Brad Apted 2-34 and James Williams 2-37.
Freear was well supported with the bat by Williams who scored 64.
Carl Pope ended not out on 21 and number 11 Craig Johnson scored 12 to help Wisbech reach their target with almost nine overs to spare.
You may also want to watch:
• WISBECH Seconds cruised to a seven-wicket victory against Ashwell in Senior League Division Three.
But Ashwell’s Tim Moynihan stole the show with an innings of 144. He was eventually bowled by Ryan Van Waterschoot.
- 1 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 2 Frisson of excitement for Nissen as wartime hut sells for £169,000
- 3 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 4 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 5 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 6 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 7 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 8 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
- 9 Fenmen caught napping as Fenland sides suffer weekend pain
- 10 Body found in Wisbech road
Next top scorer for Ashwell was Extras with 40 and then Jonathan Merrell with 30. Seven Ashwell players failed to score a run.
Matthew Parrin Jnr and Lyndon Waters took three wickets each. Van Waterschoot took two wickets.
Matt Esser scored 77, supported by Dom Stannard with 41 and Gavin Plume with 32. Adrian Clare with 40 and James Dod with 13 saw Wisbech safely home.
• WISBECH Fourths beat North Welsh side Corus Maeshafn CC by eight wickets in a friendly at Harecroft Road on Saturday.
Corus finished their 40 overs with 139-9. Bob Burgess took 4-14 for Wisbech, Danny Emmington 3-21, Matt Duff 2-33 and Lee Peck 1-13.
Dean Dodman scored 96 for Wisbech in reply, but Wisbech reached their target before he could complete his century. Danny Haynes was caught and bowled for 17, Lawrence Twell was bowled for nine and Tom Jupp finished 10 not out.
• LEVERINGTON progressed to the third round of the West Norfolk League Harrowing Cup with a 48-run victory against Hospital CC on Friday.
Simon Gilbert top scored with 75 for Leverington as they scored 162 from their 20 overs.
Hospital CC reached just 113-5 in their 20 overs, with Aaron Cobb taking 3-23.
On Saturday, Jacques Steynberg scored 109 not out as Leverington beat Springwood CC by 22 runs in West Norfolk Division One. He was supported by Glen Wilson with 54 in their 243-7 off 45 overs.
Springwood finished on 221-8 off their 45 overs. Ian Cooper took 4-36, James Barnard 2-54 and Mark Godfrey 1-69.