Reigning Supreme

PUBLISHED: 11:09 08 April 2008 | UPDATED: 08:25 02 June 2010

NE14 HOCKEY EAST PREMIER DIVISION B Wisbech Town 1st XI 10 Redbridge and Ilford 1st XI 4 WISBECH confirmed themselves as league champions by racking up double figures for the second time this season. The result meant that second-placed City of Peterborou


Wisbech Town 1st XI 10 Redbridge and Ilford 1st XI 4

WISBECH confirmed themselves as league champions by racking up double figures for the second time this season.

The result meant that second-placed City of Peterborough had to win by 31 goals win the championships, but they lost 2-1 to hand the title to Wisbech by three points.

Wisbech started nervously but still had enough quality to take the lead through Joe Melton sweeping in from the first short corner of the match.

Redbridge, who were already relegated, were playing with a great deal of pride and they quickly equalised from a short corner to put Wisbech's champion's party on hold.

Wisbech responded in the style of true champions and by half-time had a 4-1 lead. Brad Apted restored their lead after a good move. Dan Martell forced a great save from the Redbridge keeper as his shot flew toward the top corner before Drew Harvey increased the advantage stabbing in from close range after another scintillating move.

Melton then fired a good ball into the circle which won a short corner from which Apted found top scorer Sam Markille who took his season's tally to 39.

After a good patch Wisbech again took their foot of the gas and played on the back foot until half-time.

The second half was very open with Wisbech dominating most of it but Redbridge also having a fair portion of the game.

Luke Smith was outstanding on the wing and created most of Wisbech's openings.

Melton grabbed his second short-corner goal of the game before Brad Apted fired a short corner between the goalkeeper's legs.

Redbridge pulled a scrambled goal back but Wisbech were in rampant mood and continued attacking.

James Mansfield got his first Wisbech goal from the penalty spot after Smith was upended by the visiting goalkeeper who was fortunate to stay on the pitch.

Sam Blunt scored with a brilliant drag flick from a short corner which flew in off the inside of the pot a couple of inches below the crossbar.

Melton completed his hat-trick, the 13th time this season a Wisbech player has scored three or more in a game.

Wisbech's 10th was a sublime goal created and scored by two of the more unsung team members. Matt Wate crossed and defender Charlie Baxter produced a deft deflection to take the ball past the keeper.

Redbridge scored two late goals to restore a little respectability to the scoreline but nothing was to stop Wisbech's celebration.

The Wisbech squad would like to thank Nadine Blunt for ensuring the best team in the league had the best teas.


Long Sutton 2nd XI 0 Wisbech Town 2nd XI 5

JODY Betts scored four to give Wisbech bragging rights of neighbours Long Sutton in their penultimate league game of the season.

With Sutton already relegated they only had pride to play for and made things difficult for the visitors.

It was not long before Betts put Wisbech ahead.

His second goal was the more spectacular as it found the roof of the net.

Barring a couple of Sutton attacks Wisbech were sound in defence and the score remained at 2-0 at half-time.

For the second half Sutton pushed an extra man into the attack but this left them vulnerable at the back and Betts found the goal again to put things beyond reach for Sutton.

To pile on the misery Karl Belding used some good skill to score himself while the move of the match from Littlechild, Atkins and Freear allowed Betts to walk the ball across the goal line for his fourth and Wisbech's fifth.

Wisbech are at home to Ely 1st XI tomorrow for a match that starts at 1pm.


City of Peterborough 8th XI 0 March Town 5th XI 11

IN an amazing climax to the season, March won the championship with an emphatic victory.

Simon Laws had scored a hat-trick by the 14th minute and he added another in the second half.

David Haslegrave scored a hat-trick, the final goal being a dramatic diving reverse-stick shot in the finals minutes, and Jamie Sandford (2), Nathan Foad and Stuart Fox all got their names on the scoresheet.

The champions complete their season tomorrow with a trip to Ely City 4th XI in a re-arranged fixture that starts at 1pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Wisbech Standard