Referee who abandoned Chatteris A v Coldham United match quits
FORMER Football Association Referee Steven Sparrow has sensationally quit the game, complaining of unrelenting abuse from players, coaches and spectators. We reported last week how Mr Sparrow, from March, ended the BIS Division 5C match between Chatteris
FORMER Football Association Referee Steven Sparrow has sensationally quit the game, complaining of "unrelenting abuse" from players, coaches and spectators.
We reported last week how Mr Sparrow, from March, ended the BIS Division 5C match between Chatteris Town A and Coldham United on Saturday, March 20, after just 22 minutes.
The matter is to be dealt with by the Cambridgeshire Football Association's disciplinary committee.
Cambs FA referees' development officer Colin Hills said that the two clubs will "almost certainly" be fined and further charges could be brought against individuals.
You may also want to watch:
Chatteris Town A assistant manager Ant Hollis said he believed it was not a dirty match, pointed out that no cards had been handed out and he believed the referee's decision to abandon the match was a huge overreaction.
- 1 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 2 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 3 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 6 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 7 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 8 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 9 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 10 Students highlight road safety in new films