Referee who abandoned Chatteris A v Coldham United match quits
FORMER Football Association Referee Steven Sparrow has sensationally quit the game, complaining of unrelenting abuse from players, coaches and spectators. We reported last week how Mr Sparrow, from March, ended the BIS Division 5C match between Chatteris
FORMER Football Association Referee Steven Sparrow has sensationally quit the game, complaining of "unrelenting abuse" from players, coaches and spectators.
We reported last week how Mr Sparrow, from March, ended the BIS Division 5C match between Chatteris Town A and Coldham United on Saturday, March 20, after just 22 minutes.
The matter is to be dealt with by the Cambridgeshire Football Association's disciplinary committee.
Cambs FA referees' development officer Colin Hills said that the two clubs will "almost certainly" be fined and further charges could be brought against individuals.
You may also want to watch:
Chatteris Town A assistant manager Ant Hollis said he believed it was not a dirty match, pointed out that no cards had been handed out and he believed the referee's decision to abandon the match was a huge overreaction.
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 4 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dame Mary Archer defence witness in sexual abuse trial of judge's widow
- 6 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 7 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 8 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 9 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 10 Murder suspect is victim's son