Premiership rugby coach brings world-class expertise to Wisbech Grammar School
- Credit: Archant
Rugby prospects from Wisbech Grammar School have been given a coaching masterclass from one of the country’s top coaches.
Northampton Saints Academy coach Jon Curry will be working with the school’s under 14 and 15 starlets on a weekly basis throughout the Michaelmas term.
Before joining Northampton Saints, Jon was head of Leicester Tiger’s player development centre where he nurtured England duo Ben and Tom Youngs.
Since joining the Saints Academy, Jon has regularly produced players for England, most notably Courtney Lawes, but has also helped to shape players such as Ben Nutley, Mike Haywood and Alex Day, who have all enjoyed represented England.
Alex Laybourne, head of rugby, said: “It is fantastic to have Jon working with us on a regular basis. He is able to share a wealth of experience with the pupils and an insight into how they can progress into the Developing Player Programme (DPD), Elite Player Development Group (EPDG) and Academy.
You may also want to watch:
“His weekly coaching gives the pupils a different perspective on the game and we have already seen the benefits with the performances of both the under 14s and under 15s.”
- 1 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 2 Busy month as port handles nine ships in May
- 3 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 4 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 5 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 6 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 7 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Free public transport app launched to help Cambs passengers