Pool trio are European champions!
By ADAM LAZZARI THREE Wisbech pool players have become European champions. Darren McCarthy, Eric Mohammed and Scott Chambers were all part of the winning England B team last week at Selsey, West Sussex. They beat world champions Scotland 17-13 in Saturday
By ADAM LAZZARI
THREE Wisbech pool players have become European champions.
Darren McCarthy, Eric Mohammed and Scott Chambers were all part of the winning England B team last week at Selsey, West Sussex.
They beat world champions Scotland 17-13 in Saturday's tense final.
You may also want to watch:
Scotland took an early 8-6 lead but the England side dug deep to win 17-13.
McCarthy said: "It was a very close final that could have gone either way and we all did well to keep it together under pressure.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
"Scotland have a very strong side and they've beaten us on the last three or four occasions."
Earlier in the week England B played seven group games, beating England C 17-12, Scotland 17-11, Wales 17-13, France 17-16, Northern Ireland 17-16, Republic of Ireland 17-9, only losing to Scotland B 17-10.
The semi-final was against Wales and was frame for frame all the way until 12-12, before England pulled away to win 17-14.
McCarthy said: "The three of us have been in great form lately and we were confident going into the European Championships.
"We got through some really tense and tough matches throughout the week and showed that we have what it takes to become champions and we're delighted."
The three Wisbech potters all play regularly in the Cherry Automatics Wisbech and District Pool League.
McCarthy is enjoying his 10th year on the international scene, while Mohammed and Chambers have been England players for five years.
The trio finished runners-up in the World Championships in 2006.