Pool players in confident mood ahead of European Championships
By ADAM LAZZARI THREE pool players from Wisbech are confident of winning the European Championships next week. Darren McCarthy, 38, Scott Chambers, 39, and Eric Mohhammed, 45, will travel to the Isle of Man on Saturday where they will compete against 12 o
By ADAM LAZZARI
THREE pool players from Wisbech are confident of winning the European Championships next week.
Darren McCarthy, 38, Scott Chambers, 39, and Eric Mohhammed, 45, will travel to the Isle of Man on Saturday where they will compete against 12 other nations including Scotland, Wales, Spain and Northern Ireland from Sunday.
All three were part of the England squad that won the grand slam last season with victories in the Home nations, European Championships and World Masters.
You may also want to watch:
McCarthy said: "We're all in good form and feeling confident, especially after last season.
"Scotland are always the main rivals and I expect we will meet them in the latter stages."
- 1 Body found in Wisbech road
- 2 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 3 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 4 Mayor opens Wisbech community hub
- 5 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 8 Cambridgeshire care homes back compulsory Covid-19 jabs for staff
- 9 Urgent police appeal to find man missing since Thursday
- 10 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
Each nation will play each other once before the semi-finals and the final will be played next Saturday (October 3).
The Wisbech contingent form part of a 21-man three team England squad and will play for the B team.
McCarthy is in his 11th year as an international while Chambers and Mohhammed have both played for England for six years.
McCarthy said: "It's good to have three Wisbech guys in the England squad. There has always been a keen interest in the sport in the town. There are several players in the local league who have the potential to become internationals.