Pettit seals hard victory
London Division Three North East Wisbech 17 Basildon 10 A SCINTILLATING try by fly-half Will Pettit secured Wisbech s third win on the bounce. Pettit received a quick pass from Andy Claydon, dummied a pass to John Turner and straightened the line. With
London Division Three North East
Wisbech 17 Basildon 10
A SCINTILLATING try by fly-half Will Pettit secured Wisbech's third win on the bounce.
Pettit received a quick pass from Andy Claydon, dummied a pass to John Turner and straightened the line.
With a quick burst of pace, he was over the 22 and as he rounded the full-back to cross the line and score.
Claydon converted for 14-10 to Wisbech.
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 3 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 6 WEIRD NORFOLK: The local shoe shop haunted by a 'one-legged poltergeist'
- 7 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 8 OPINION: Jettison inertia and save money
- 9 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 10 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
Chasing the game, Basildon gave a penalty away that Claydon kicked over for a final score of 17-10.
Wisbech had been 10-7 down at half-time.
Basildon, fielding a big pack, scored a penalty in the opening minutes but Turner replied with a try and Claydon converted.
As both sides tussled for domination, Basildon were able to put the wheel on at scrum time, but Wisbech were more creative with ball in hand.
There was some serious work being done at the coal face, Chris Newns stood firm in defence and Tom Martell was his usual disruptive self on the open side.
After a period of intense pressure, Wisbech conceded a try to the Basildon scrum-half and this was converted.
Much of the second half saw Basildon attempting to dominate through their heavy pack but unable to break down the Wisbech defence, before Pettit's moment of magic put the hosts on their way to victory.
Wisbech remain third, level on points with second-placed Canvey Island.
Beccles are four points clear at the top but Wisbech have games in hand.
Wisbech travel to Wymondham tomorrow and the seconds are away to Diss.