Online escapades from Oz
AS the sole member of the Australian branch of the Wisbech Town Supporters Club, I was chatting on the fenmenonline forum and offering the unlikely bet of five Australian dollars that England would beat Australia in a limited-overs cricket match. The winn
AS the sole member of the Australian branch of the Wisbech Town Supporters Club, I was chatting on the fenmenonline forum and offering the unlikely bet of five Australian dollars that England would beat Australia in a limited-overs cricket match.
The winnings would then be invested on the England rugby union team to beat Scotland and, finally, all the proceeds would go on the England football team beating Spain last Wednesday.
Mostin (real name protected), and fellow member of the forum, chimed in: "If that happens (if you win the bet) I'll run naked through the streets of Fakenham" (not wishing to be arrested in his native Upwell).
The bet got off to the most unlikely start with England beating Australia (I think Mostin was hoping his worries would stop at the first
You may also want to watch:
hurdle). Tony's $5 became $35 and Mostin started to sweat.
England, thanks to a back-to-health Jonny Wilkinson, belted Scotland off the park and Tony's $35 became $100+ - and Mostin was looking for Norfolk's biggest fig leaf.
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 9 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 10 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
The final hurdle was England vs Spain. England, having got rid of the causes of not doing very well, these being Sven and Becks, were certainties to win; so look out Fakenham.
It didn't happen, did it? Tony lost all of his money, Fakenham gave a sigh of relief and Mostin paid for a sunbed treatment, wax and manicure all for nothing.
You can join in on all these and other football related topics at fenmenonline. We solve the world's problems, we've given marriage counselling and solved every ailment known to man. Give it a go.
Oh, and on occasions we even discuss football.
Don't forget to get along to Fenland Park and support the team. It will be great to see you there. Not only that - they need your money.
Bligh Park NSW