Swimmer Oliver Smithee wins eight medals after competing in 10 races
- Credit: Archant
A young swimmer from Emneth came home with a haul of medals after competing in 10 different races.
Oliver Smithee, who is also a 1st form pupil at Wisbech Grammar School, recently attended a City of Peterborough open meet and achieved his regional qualifying championship time for 200m breaststroke.
Also a member of Wisbech Swimming Club, he was one of only three swimmers from club to qualify for the regionals this year.
It means Oliver has qualified to compete at the annual East Region Championships which are to be held at the Luton 50m pool in May.
Oliver had a great weekend coming home with eight medals out of the 10 races he swam, and all of his times being personal bests too.
You may also want to watch:
In August 2017, Oliver raised £1,000 for Marie Curie Cancer Care by swimming a mile in open water. He completed the charity challenge in a time of 21 minutes - just two minutes behind the first person.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 7 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 8 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 9 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action